Gott Mit Uns
As I looked at a souvenir belt buckle my Grandfather “acquired” in World War I, it made me think, what does it mean to say, “GOTT MIT UNS?” I know the literal translation, but did the soldiers wearing the belt buckle really believe it? As a U.S. Army officer I can’t think of anything that was given to me by the U.S. Army as part of my uniform that has any such motto (being that I am suppose to be a right wing christian fundementalist, you would think I would wear such an item, then again maybe I do!).
The whole reason for my blog is to try and put into words what my experiences of the world. This particular post is the result of a conversation between me and one of my Bundeswehr friends. The conversation somehow (not by me) shifted to politics and global warming, etc. He told me that President Bush wants to take over the world, the United States is responsible for global warming, and we are an empire that is falling, and Obama and the Democrats should win the election. Well what does one say to such recriminations? Being an American patriot and a good host (I initiated the original conversation) I tried to direct the conversation into something less polarizing, but to no avail. So I finally told him my opinions.
1. Global warming is a bunch of crap, and a way for socialists to try and control my thoughts and actions.
2. Taking over the world? Yeah right! The world is so messed up what would we do with the rest of it?
3. Empire, I think he has the United States confused with the Dritte Reich!
4. Obama? I said, you are kidding right? (he used the words, “a black JFK”) Europeans do not know of Obama’s background nor whom he looks to for advice.
5. He also said that Americans are too religious! Well, I do believe in god, I do not have a problem if other people do not. He might have me confused with Muslims. It was Jesus that said (not sure of the actual verse), Who ever is free of sin be the first one to cast a stone! So ultimately, I think that sums it up, remember those that live in glass houses should not cast stones!
So really is, God With Us? Lets hope so, or its going to be a bumpy ride!